Old August 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Nisse PowerMan

Default how paranoid should one really be?

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

Bruce Dumes wrote:

After reading a bunch of travel web pages, I decided to arm myself with
one of these expensive "slash proof" backpacks. Personally, I think
it's beyond paranoid, but so many people say that they've had their
backpacks or bags taken from them in seconds by someone walking by with
a knife and yanking on the strap. I also got a slash-proof camera strap.

The places I'm traveling are Hamburg (and surrounding areas), up through
Denmark to Copenhagen, Latvia (Riga and Daugavpils) and a one day
lay-over (no pun intended) in Amsterdam.

I decided that the cost of the backpack was easily outweighed by the
replacement costs of the contents it will be carrying. What's the
general consensus around here? How paranoid should one really be?

I think you're being too paranoid. Mild vigilance will be all you need
with a normal backpack. Besides, the cities you mentioned don't have a
particularly bad reputation for crime...

Exactly. Probably 10 to 100 times worse to go to NY or LA than travel
around Europe, not to mention Miami.

/Nisse

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!