Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Sicily in the refugee era

On 5/22/17 8:42 AM, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
But I'm wondering about the effect of the refugee crisis.

I would guess tourists won't be affected, and not in Sicily any more
than other parts of Italy

Not aware of any refugee camps or anything. A lot of areas are run
down,

or may be not, or most likely the situation will be mixed (for instance
Palermo has been nominated Culture Capital for 2018)

Anyhow this site of the Ministry of Interior lists the various places
for the various categories of people (requestors of political asylum,
illegal immigrants etc.)

http://www.interno.gov.it/it/temi/im...-limmigrazione

... try a translator to get an idea, you can see not many of them are in
Sicily, and usually not close to tourist places. Unless you occur to be
around one of the ports where the rescue ships arrive (*), you are
unlikely to notice anything. Irregular immigrants would not want to stay
around in Sicily, they want to move north (northern Italy or northern
Europe)

(*) or where they want to go OUT of the country. Several months ago
there were crowds near the stations of Ventimiglia (people wanting to go
to France) and Como SG (people wanting to go to Switzerland and north) !

I would avoid instead the area of Taormina during the period of the G7
http://www.g7italy.it/en/news because of the security limitations
(actually the newspaper reported also that the ships with rescued
irregular immigrants won't be allowed to land in Sicily during the G7
... I wonder that means they will be routed elsewhere)

It's crazy that they chose Taormina.

We plebs have to park above the town, near the highway, and take the
electrical bus down.

I imagine the dignitaries will be driven in their limos past the bus
station and put right in front at the gate.