Old August 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Best 21" Rolling Carry-On

Tom P wrote:
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Goomba wrote:
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I wonder how strict they are about that? Are flight attendants no
longer available to assist elderly and/or handicapped passengers?
What about able-bodied but short passengers, who can lift the bag
but cannot REACH the overhead bin? (Some of those bins are very
high - one of the occasions when I really miss the two-and-a-half
inches I have lost as my spine compresses with age!)

You must have missed this on Gadling-
http://www.gadling.com/2008/07/15/ga...-want-me-to-d/

Why would I have even looked for it? I always check all but one
clearly "carry-on" bag which I have no problem carrying onto the
airplane (I require a wheelchair to get to the gate from check-in).
The fact I am no longer tall enough to reach overhead bins (which have
been elevated by several inches from the height they once were, back
when air-travel was actually enjoyable) seems a legitimate reason for
needing help. I was under the impression flight attendants were PAID
to assist passengers who require assistance, not just to be glorified
waitresses, using the boarding period to catch up on their gossip.

To quote the rest of the BA website: ..and you must be able to lift the
bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided. NB. Cabin
crew will assist customers with additional needs."

Meaning YES if like yourself you are a disabled person with special
needs, NO if you are someone who drags a carry-on full of bricks on
board and expects cabin crew to risk injury to themselves and possibly
other passengers heaving it into the overhead bin. Which in any case
raises the question, why does BA tell you to put such heavy hand luggage
in the overhead and not under the seat?

Probably because it won't FIT under the seat? ;-) I always check my
roll-on bag, whatever its size. (And my carry-on is designed to fit
over the pull-up handle for surface transport at airports and hotels.)