Old February 14th, 2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Celebrity Single Penalty Rate

In article .com,
LeeNY wrote:

Is that specific to Celebrity? I've sailed solo on HAL twice and will
be sailing solo on Carnival Miracle in a few weeks. All three times I
booked guarantees to get the best single pricing. Why won't Celebrity
allow solo cruisers to book guarantees?

It is specific to Celebrity. It might include Royal Caribbean. I just
started noticing it in the last year with Celebrity. If you see a good
guarantee rate it won't come out to double for a single but to some
very high price that you don't expect or want to pay. An assigned cabin
will come out double less the second persons taxes for a solo cruiser
but the assigned cabin rate will probably be higher per person than the
guarantee rate was per person that you saw advertised. So you can't
really check the rates on websites like Travelocity and get an accurate
figure if you are traveling solo. You need to call a travel agent. The
exception to this is the Happy Hour specials. Those will be the per
person rate plus the single supplement and sometimes those specials are
only a 150% supplement than a 200% supplement.

What I wrote above does contain a lot of conjecture on my part from
getting quotes in the last year. So if someone has had a different
experience and been able to get a guarantee cabin as a solo on
Celebrity and it was 200% or less supp. please post. Same for any
travel agent that can shoot the above down. Maybe it is something
specific to the sailings I have been pricing.

--
Charles