Old July 17th, 2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Default Booking tours thought cruise line vs. DIY

Thus spake "LeeNY" :

wrote:

We will be cruising Thanksgiving week 2006 . This time we have
researched our destination to Calica (Playa Del Carmen) and Cancun. We
know we want to go the Tulum, Xel-ha or Isla Mujeres.

We toured Tulum independently, and we came over from Cozumel. So, to do
it from Playa del Carmen should be a piece of cake. We didn't use a
tour van...we rented a car and drove there on our own. I don't know
where the cruise ship pier is, but coming over on the ferry, the rental
car office was right there...probably 50 steps from where we got on
land. We prebooked the car through National Rental Car...it was a late
model VW in excellent condition, so we had little worries about
mechanical difficulties. Car ran about $35 for the day..

There is absolutely nothing (NOTHING) at Calica except for some vendor
tents and busses that take you to the various destinations. After
about 9, taxis show up, but you have to hike in the sun and dust to
get to where they stop.

Note that it's about a 15-20 minute taxi ride to Playa del Carmen.
Make sure you allow time for this if you go to Playa. We saw four
people miss the boat because of this error.

--
dillon

JAFO