Old July 13th, 2004, 05:44 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Worth staying in a classy hotel?

"ggg" wrote in message
m...
"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

"J Asking" wrote in message
om...
What are readers thoughts on travelling to Asia and spending big $$$
to stay in an expensive hotel? Would people prefer to stay in a
hostel given that hotels should only b eused to sleep in?

Rather judgmental of you, don't you think?

When we travel, anywhere, we prefer to stay in nice hotels. We like a

quiet
room, a comfortable bed, clean bathroom with a generous tub, hot shower,
etc. We like our privacy. We like having a base of operations which,

among
other things, has the support of a competent concierge, a business

center,
reliable phone service, etc.

What may seem like big $$$ to you, isn't big $$$ to everyone.

One of our favorite hotels in the world is the J.W. Marriott in Hong

Kong.
First class service, beautiful (though small) rooms, and one of the most
highly-regarded restaurants in Hong Kong. Yes, I prefer to stay there.

No,
I wouldn't prefer to stay in a hostel in Hong Kong (or, for that matter,
anywhere else).

How does it compare to the Island Shangri-La?

Is that the same Shangri-La that's right next door? I haven't stayed there,
but I've eaten in its restaurant a couple of times. It's nice atmosphere,
comparable to the JW, as pricey but, IMHO, not quite as good. I know a lot
of people who swear by the Shangri-La, though.

There's a third hotel in the same vicinity -- the Intercontinental, perhaps?
My understanding is that they're all generally comparable. I stay at the JW
because I a Marriott frequent stay point whore. In fact, most of my
stays at that hotel, including one coming up at the end of this year, are
free thanks to Marriott's Reward Point program.