Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:17 AM
Miguel Cruz

In developing countries, street stall food is usually safer than food
in tourist restaurants. You never know about the preparation of
restaurant food, how long the ingredients have been sitting there, if
there was a blackout that made everything spoil, or what the hygiene in
the kitchen was. But at a street stall you know the food is cooked
thoroughly and can make a reasonable judgment about the hygiene of a
particular stall. I've travelled a lot in developing countries and
never gotten sick, and I eat primarily from street stalls. The only
things to avoid from street stalls are (1) raw shellfish, (2) drinks
with ice because you don't know if the ice is from safe water, and (3)
fruits and vegetables that you can't peel or otherwise remove the outer
layer.

I fully agree with all of this, and my experience has been identical.

Street food = never ever sick

Restaurant food = sometimes sick

Midrange hotel restaurant food = always sick

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu