Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:50 PM

To show you how adventurous I am (and thus my frequent suffering from
diarrhea while travelling), I tried raw oysters many times on the road
side, of all places, in Trinidad. You can find road side oyster stands
quite often in Trinidad. The oysters are harvested, not farmed. So
the size is quite small, not like those we are accustomed to in the US.
But they cost much less too ($1 US=TT$6).

First of the oysters are still covered in some mud. So they must be
rinsed after being shelled. This is unlike what we are used to where
oysters are still in the shell and have been thoroughly cleaned before
being shelled for serving. On the stand you see these oysters already
shelled in a jar with the juice. The vendor pour measured amount of
oyster into a cup and rinse again with water. Before serving, some
kind of sauce is added. The sauce is a little hot, also sour and
sweet. I believe it has lime in it. (to kill the germs) I have never
gotten sick eating these small oysters in Trinidad although I eat them
with a sqirmish feeling every time. For your information Trinidad,
being a former British colony, has a very decent water supply system.