Old April 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Honeymoon - Best Destination - July ???

We are thinking of traveling to Africa for our honeymoon in July '07. I
have done a little research but have not been able to narrow down the
list of destinations, there is simply too much to choose from... Here's
a little info which should give you an idea as to what we are looking
for:

1. Luxury - We can rough it but given that it is our honeymoon I think
a luxury vacation is more appropriate. It should offer a good balance
between relaxation and adventure.

As Liz said - what do you mean by adventure?
Bear in mind distances and give yourself plenty of time at each place (many
'off the shelf' safaris stay only 2 nights in each lodge/camp; I think 3 is
a minimum to achieve any relaxation! )Also think about whether you want road
or air trips to lodges/camps. The roads can be long and dusty but you do get
to see life enroute. But the sights from the small planes can be amazing
too!

2. Wildlife - I am an amateur photographer so I would like to go
somewhere that will offer a great selection of wildlife of all kinds. I
have read that Kenya in July can be spectacular with the annual
migration. I have also looked into Botswana, Tanzania and South Africa.
Botswana appears to be a great destination as well, just wondering
whether I might regret not seeing the migration.

I've not managed to see the migration proper - tried in Tanzania but we were
about a week too late. Did still see some large herds tho.
My vote would probably go to Botswana; small camps but can be as luxurious
as you want. (I wont stay anywhere without an en-suite WC but some places
can be over-the-top in luxury in my opinion; I still want to feel as tho I'm
in Africa!)

3. Must see destinations - As mentioned, the migration appears to be on
the "must-see" list. What about Victoria Falls?

It would be on my list; its pretty spectacular even without a lot of water.
I think the first time we went was July and there was quite a lot of water,
but the second was in September when part of it was 'dry'.
Try to see it from both the Zambian and Zimbabwean sides; there are some
fantastic places to stay near the Falls (eg Tongabezi)

4. Crowds - I would prefer a location which is less crowded, more
intimate.

Go for small camps/lodges

5. Cost - We are flexible here, I would like to keep the total cost of
the Safari under $6000 per person.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Remember that it will be cold at night (esp in Botswana) and on early
morning game drives. You'll need warm clothes! In Botswana (and Zambia) the
drives are in open vehicles; Kenya and Tanzania usually not so you dont get
so cold. In the game parks in K and T you cant do night drives, which you
can in Botswana.

--
Rita Daggett