Old April 11th, 2013, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default So who's made an effort ...

poldy wrote:
to learn the language of the countries they visit?

I learned German many years before I ever had a chance to travel there.
I've also mostly visited German- speaking countries. I've visited other
countries where they speak other languages as part of a group, so I only
learned some basic phrases of those.

Maybe typical American arrogance, to expect others to cater to them,
including learning English -- though arguably, Southern Europeans would
do well to learn English to enhance their marketability in various
professions (not limited to tourism trades).

When I don't need English, I don't use it because I've seen too much such
arrogance and don't like being considered a citizen of their version of my
country.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad