Old July 15th, 2015, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Default if you are over 65...

On 07/15/2015 09:24 PM, tim..... wrote:

"Sheila Page" wrote in message
In Budapest, yes, you just show your passport.

In London, tubes and buses are free for London over 65 residents;

London is still free for 0ver 60's residents (provided that they have
applied for the appropriate pass)

tim

Climbing on my soapbox for a moment - I do not think schemes like free
bus passes are a good idea. The costs of providing these schemes have to
be paid for somehow, meaning that the cost has to be borne by others,
meaning the society as a whole, and amount to arbitrary discrimination
against members of society who qualify but cannot make use of the
service or don't need it. What use is a free bus pass for someone who is
bed-ridden, for example? Why should London residents benefit and not
someone over the county border? Why should car drivers have to pay
indirectly for free bus passes that they don't need?
(Soapbox back in the cellar)