Old January 11th, 2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Teaching is a vocation, not a good pay job.

"Mxsmanic" a écrit dans le message de news:
flyingdutchman writes:

I was wondering if it is feasible to teach English in Europe with only
a college diploma and a TEFL certificate. I also have a EU passport.

That is more than sufficient in many markets. Be aware, however, that
ESL teaching tends to pay very poorly in most of Europe, since there
are plenty of people wanting to do exactly what you want to do.

In general, the less desirable the location, the better ESL teachers
are paid there. So London or Paris will pay very poorly, but Mkryzto
in Outer Vulgaria may pay fairly well.

Also, there are some positions in ESL that pay moderately well, even
in saturated markets. These positions require both a TEFL or CELTA
and a degree in some related field, often in education. That is, they
require you to meet the requirements for a normal public-school
teacher. Viewed from that standpoint, though, they actually don't pay
that well after all (unless you already happen to have the
qualifications--these jobs certainly don't justify going out to get
them).