Old February 7th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Earl Evleth

Default "Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

On 7/02/04 17:42, in article ,
"Sjoerd" wrote:

There are relatively few "tourist problems" in Europe. My friends who own a
hotel here in Amsterdam tell me that were indeed fewer Americans in 2003,
but more Italians, Spaniards, Scandinavians, French and Eastern Europeans
including many Russians. The number of Chinese visitors is also increasing

We just returned to Paris from the US after two weeks in Florida spending
two nights in London. The exchange rates for the dollar the the exchange
were like 53 pounds for $100. The less the spiffy hotel we were staying at
was running $140/night and a good meal was way over $100 for two, and single
ticket on the tube was close to $4.

Our Florida motel room was running $90 in Fort Lauderdale and good meals a
lot cheaper than $100 for two. What is tricky with US prices is the taxes,
our Florida lodgings has $4.50 for a state tax and $5.40 for a city tax,
these are already added into many European prices (tip also) and one only
see the total. Likewise, British hotel prices includes breakfast.

Still many Americans will figure Europe (Britain included) too expensive and
not come and stay at home. For Europeans, the US will be attractive.

The day AA flight from Boston to London was only about a quarter filled.
This is a great flight, less than 6 hours and one does not lose a night`s
sleep. The food is getting worse however. American Airline gave is a dumb
pizza going and coming back. Taking one`s own food is a necessity now.

Earl