Old March 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate[_2_]

Default "Apex car rental" NZ - opinions????

We're just back from NZ - some facts you might find interesting.

There are a number of companies renting 4 or 5 year old Japanese cars - in
good condition, either manual or automatic, with a/c.

We paid $37NZD per day. (Kiwi Direct Rentals - but others have similar cars
and rates).

Insurance is included (as by law it must be in NZ), with a 'deductible' or
'excess' of $300 to $500 NZD - which you can cover with a small extra
payment.

Personal Insurance is not needed as NZ runs a 'no fault' State compensation
regime for personal injury, including car accidents.

Driving is easy, roads OK - but NZ's car accident rate is higher than most
western countries, and drivers are lax about signalling lane changes or even
turns. They are also prone to 'tailgate'. GPS are available for hire also.
Signage is generally good.

Fuel costs in late February, 2009 - $1.65 a litre for standard 91RON
unleaded petrol. Diesel was about $1.10 NZD per litre.

Hope this info is not too late for you.

"KGB (KGB)" wrote in message
Hi

My wife and I (from the UK) are planning a trip to NZ in the Autumn.
I used to work for "New Zealand Shipping Company" many, many years ago
and want to re-visit my old haunts before I get too old - could be a
mistake taking the wife though, in case I am still recognised!! 8^)

The flights are booked and we are currently looking at car rental, our
route being solely North Island; Wellington to Auckland. I have come
across "Apex car rental", which have a professional looking website
(proves nothing I know) and seem very cheap compared to some of the
more well known (here in the UK) car rental companies.

Any comments about Apex - good or bad - would be greatly appreciated.
If bad, any other suggestions for car rental companies??

I have tried looking at http://www.rental-cars.co.nz as suggested in
this NG some time ago but the website appears to be now defunct.

Regards - and thanks in advance

KGB