Old September 19th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Martin Stock

Default Winter Trip - Opinions Wanted

"Dougal" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
We are thinking of taking a winter trip to Europe around the holidays.
At first we wanted to go before the holidays to see the Christmas
markets.
I work at a school, so it would be easier for me to go after Christmas
but not necessary. If we go after the holidays, then we would also be
looking for a fun place to be for New Year's eve.

http://www.silvester-berlin.de

I've always wanted
to see Copenhagen Tivoli at Christmas, but I was disapointed to find
that they close on Dec 23.
Is this also the case with the markets?
We were thinking of two possible itineraries:
1) The Strasbourg/Bern/So. Germany area

Christmas Markets close traditionally at early afternoon of the 24th.
The biggest ones in Germany are in Stuttgart and Nuremberg
http://www.christkindlesmarkt.de/index_e.html
But you can find them in many towns or cities in Germany.

At 24th later afternoon and evening virtually everything in Germany that can
be closed will be closed.

2) Copenhagen/Stockholm (maybe Helsinki-St. Petersburg?)

We'd love to hear some opinions from Europeans and folks who have
traveled to these place in winter. Which itinerary sounds best? Is
before Christmas or after better? We like walking, museums,
architecture, classical music, theatre etc.

Besides the Christmas Markets there is no big difference on these things.
Generally it's a good time for museums, classical music, theatre etc. But
as most people have time you may have to book tickets in advance.

We are from the US
northeast, so cold and snow aren't an issue.
Thanks in advance!