Old October 8th, 2003, 12:58 PM
j.e.r.

Default What is Condition of Rhine River re Rhine River Cruises (low water)?

(walter) wrote in message . com...
In mid October (2 weeks from now) I am supposed to take a Rhine River
cruise from the Netherlands to Switzerland. I am getting many stories
about low river (lowest in over 100 years), and even cruise boats not
being able to go from the southern Rhine to north of Mainz.

Don't worry. The cruise ships are being equipped with wheels at the
moment :-)

The weather is really bad since 1 week, endless rain in the whole
area. The smaller rivers from the mountains are full. So the big
rivers will recover fast. Not to the normal level, but high enough for
usual ship traffic.

If interested: you can get water level for Rhine (and other
rivers in Germany) at
http://www.elwis.de/gewaesserkunde/W...erstaende.html
with selection via map "Auswahl ... Karte"

Checking some of that online Info, looks like water level
on most of Rhine River has increased by 100 cm over the last
6 days - more on the upper river than the lower.

Just hope for some sunshine for the time you will be on
the Rhine!

Have a great trip

Hans R.