Old January 11th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Lester Higgins

Default Near Phoenix OT

Thanks for the correction, Bill, but to me it's still Squaw Peak, and to
heck with the political correctness. I'm all for changing the name in honor
of Lori Piestewa, BUT ( isn't there always a "but"? ) feel it was done for
political purposes, (why not honor *all* fallen Arizona servicemen and
servicewomen?), and absolutely disagree with the way the Governor "made it
happen" (ie: failed to follow procedural place name change convention...)
{ off soapbox now.....}
Cheers.
LH

From: "Lester Higgins"

2) several mountains in the greater Phoenix area you might try: Squaw
Peak

Good suggestions in Lester's post, but to update one place name, "Squaw

Peak"
was renamed "Piestawa Peak" in 2003, in part to remove what some saw as an
offensive reference to Indian women, in part to honor the first Native

American
woman to die overseas in battle, Lori Piestawa, a Hopi from Tuba City who

was
killed in Iraq in the same firefight that wounded Jessica Lynch.