Old November 20th, 2013, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stef

Default Cell phones - who has best offer

Neville MADDEN wrote:

Good morning

I have been granted a year's overseas study scholarship at the University
of North Carolina starting in the spring semester 2014.

Rosemarie and I arrive in Greensboro NC on 26 December 2013.

Oh, so it's UNC-G you'll be attending, my alma mater. And hometown.

I would like your advice as to what cell-phone provider to use and whether
pre-paid or plan is the way to go.

Verizon for the extensive coverage, if you plan on traveling a lot in
the US. Or T-Mobile, which I use now. Both have pre-paid, per minute or
package plans. Or you can try the "little" carriers: Cricket or Metro
PCS. I've heard good things about both from those who use them. They
are flat rate or per minute, IIRC. However, their coverage is poor
outside of major metro areas.

When we first arrive I imagine there will be heaps of local and
international phone calls but once we get settled Skype will take the place
of the international calls and there would be very few local or national
calls.

Whomever you choose, check their international rates, if they have
them, in case you need to make emergency overseas calls.

Enjoy your year "abroad."

Stef