Old August 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On Aug 24, 4:52*pm, "ATM" wrote:
"Joseph D. Korman" wrote in ...

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/

Things to know:
Pay Per Ride:

* *For example, a $20 purchase gives you $23 on your card. * *Bus and
subway rides deduct $2.25 for each passenger, one swipe at a
* *time.
* *The pay per ride allows up to four people at the same time to ride.
Transfers to and from buses require only one swipe for the party.
* *It's also good on the PATH ($1.75 per person), but no transfers are
* *given to NYC buses or subway, if you start on PATH from NJ.

Unlimited rides (one, seven, and thirty days, but I guess the one day or
week would be OK for you):

* *The single day and week long unlimited may only be used by one
* *person at a time, so each in your party must have their own card.. *They
are NOT good on PATH.
* *The time starts when you first use the card.
* *Daily cards are good until 3:00am the next day and weekly cards are
* *good until midnight seven days later.

To decide which to buy, figure out how many rides you expect to take. *I
suppose if you plan many rides, the $27 seven day might be good, even if
you're here for a few days. *One day cards cost $8.25, so even three days
at five rides a day, you're ahead. *But remember no PATH rides with these
and each of you needs your own card.

Thank you Joseph,
OK. Two of us will be in NYC on Oct 26 to 31 (to avoid Halloween and NYC
Marathon).
We probably do average 2 return trip each person (4 trip total) per day.
So, one signle regular MetroCard is probably good for us party of two?
How much should we get $45? Can we get our money back if we do not use up
all $45?
The MetroCard vanding machines available at all MTA stations?
The MetroCard web site does not tell me what qualify for reduced fare?-

No refund on unused MetroCard (but they're good forever -- if the card
itself expires (date printed on the back), the next time you put it in
the fare machine it replaces it with a new one with the same amount on
it.

The $27 one-week pass for each is definitely the best deal for you.