Old August 25th, 2009, 04:20 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On Aug 24, 9:25*pm, (Steven M. O'Neill) wrote:
Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[PATH fares]

And no, you don't need to buy a SmartCard. The machines still sell non-
reuseable cards.

My son and I rode the PATH train 2 weekends ago. *I was
chagrined to learn that you can no longer just plunk your spare
change in the turnstile machines, but rather have to first go
to the card machine and then get a single-use paper card which
instantly becomes garbage.

That's been like three years now ...

Doesn't the machine keep the card? It did when a 10-ride card was used
up (I have a SmartCard because they gave them away free as part of the
centennial observation in Jan 08).