Old July 12th, 2017, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim...[_2_]

Default Sicily A report from Andalucia, July 2017

"Giovanni Drogo" wrote in message
news:alpine.LSU.2.00.1707121024490.21780@cbfrvqba. ynzoengr.vans.vg...
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017, tim... wrote:

I first (and only) visited Sicily in 82 when I was working a year in
Italy

Well, as far as tourism is concerned when I was in Sicily I did it with
organized tours, except when I was there for work (but that was just in
Palermo and Catania, and Erice which is a conference place ... the
conference organizers, there and in Catania, took care of appropriate
tours)

I do not consider it a public transport friendly place. Recently a disable
friend (in wheelchair) wanted to spend a weekend in Palermo (without
hiring a car as sometimes the person who accompanies him does), and I
guess he missed some places like Monreale.

I scheduled a two week holiday which I spent in the very south of Italy
and on the Island - travelling by train.

You were very brave (*). The sicilian railways have poor fame (slow and
unfrequent), apparently the locals prefer buses.

(*) or are you a railway fan ?

I was 24, "poor" and with zero experience of driving on the wrong side of
the road, and IME (as a pedestrian) Italy is not the best choice of county
to change that - I have still never driven there.

thanks