Old June 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default GPS for European motoring

I would suggest a few issues for you to consider ahead of time. The
first is that you consider just what type of service you desire. At the
low level GPS simply tells you where you are and the direction to a
preset location (your hotel for example). This tends to not be of much
use for me. A second level shows your current location and a map of the
local on a changeable scale. The use of this type depends on the detail
level of the maps and the size of the display. An intermediate variety
let you enter a trip and help you to track your progress on the maps.
Finally the high level systems provide directions from your current
location to an identified address. If you drift off route they will
recompute a path to the destination. They are serious computers with
the associated costs.

Another issue is the cost for the map licenses. This can be significant
for detailed maps and availability can be complicated.

Also consider how much mapping can be loaded without access to a
computer. While systems are coming with more memory and sometimes with
changeable CF or other plug in memory this can be a problem on a
complicated trip.

Good luck. Tell us about the experience when you return.

Jeremy Henderson wrote:

Following a suggestion on this group, I have been looking int the idea of
an in-car GPS to help me navigate beyond my driveway withut getting lost -
a rare occurrence when I venture out armed only with a map, and completely
unkown when my wife volunteers to navigate.

The units I've seen advertisd are the Garmin GPS V Deluxe, the
Garmin Streetpilot III deluxe, and the Streetpilot 2610. see eg
http://navcity.co.uk/catalog/index.php+c_path+7

Does anyone have any experience of driving in Europe with such a gadget,
these models in particular, other recommendations?
cheers, J;