Old November 24th, 2003, 10:00 PM
me

Default New group misc.metric-system (CFV)

Gene Nygaard wrote in message . ..
On 24 Nov 2003 07:11:45 -0800, (me) wrote:

(Markus Kuhn) wrote in message ...
In case you have not already seen it:

We are trying to set up a new newsgroup

misc.metric-system

dedicated to discussions about the metric system and its introduction
in areas where it is not yet widely used.

Related threads have flared up in this group in the past. So if you
are interested in this topic and group, please participate in this
ballot. (At least ~150 votes are necessary before a group has a
realistic chance of being created.)

[snip]

Will discussion about how it shouldn't be applied under force of
law be allowed?

Sure. So go vote.

BTW, can you explain to me why we have a "statute" mile? Do you know
what that word means?

How exactly did the imperial gallon replace a dozen or so old gallons
in the 1820s, except for the U.S.A. which kept two of the old ones and
never used that new one? Anything to do with "force of law"?

Nope, new one just never caught on. We coulda used it but didn't
really have a purpose to.

Should you be free to use imperial fluid ounces for sale of goods in
the United States,

Yes. (properly labeled).

deceptively trying to fool people into thinking
they are the larger U.S. fluid ounces? Or does "force of law" have a
legitimate place in our use of measurements?

No, but deceptive trade practices do.

Should U.S. liquid pints of draught beer be allowed in a British pub,

Yes. (Properly labeled).

deceptively trying to fool people into thinking this is a real pint?
Or does "force of law" have a legitimate place in our use of
measurements?

Deception is already illegal, regardless of the measurement system.