Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

Default Continental AC power outlets in coach.

"SMS" wrote in message
I was impressed to find AC outlets under my seat in coach on Continental
(737) yesterday (HOU-SFO). No funky EmPower or 12V cigarette lighter jacks
as on some carriers.

It appears as if they have inverters on every row, as the aisle seat now
has some sort of box under it which severely restricts foot room and
storage room (you can't even slide a small day pack under the aisle seat
any more). I suspect that that box contains a 24VDC to 110VAC inverter
(airplane low voltage DC wiring is 24V). There are two outlets in each
row, on either side of the center seat so everyone can reach them. I guess
it'd be a good idea to bring a triple tap just in case all three
passengers wanted an outlet.

No audio or video system at all on these 737s which appeared to be pretty
new.

Maybe next flight I'll bring a Zelco Brisk Brew coffee maker and brew my
own coffee on board. "http://tinyurl.com/zelcobriskbrew".

These are new 737s. CO will be configuring them with LiveTV (DirecTV)