Old July 21st, 2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Steve Sobol

Default Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

Carmen L. Abruzzi wrote:

Yep. I got ticketed for no current registration (while the car was
parked, so I didn't see the cop) when I never received the sticker from
the DMV. Went to court with my receipt, well they sent me to the DA
(or some sub-assistant DA, I guess) who gave me a stern lecture about
how it was *my* responsibility to be sure I received the sticker and
put it on the plate. But he decided to "let it go this time", and
dropped the charge. So I'm sure the cop can stop you, and possibly
even ticket you for failing to display your registration, it would
depend on the state.

Sure. Much like your failure to show your drivers license, because (for
example) you forgot it at home, is prima facie evidence that you don't have
one, and you can get a ticket.

I got pulled over once and had forgotten my license at home, and managed to
get out of a "no license" ticket by telling the officer "I know my license
number," and I gave him the license number, SSN and address and he ran it,
and it checked out. (This was back before Ohio allowed you to omit your SSN
from your license.)

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.