Old September 20th, 2003, 02:25 AM
PTRAVEL

Default Noise cancellers (Was: Tokyo with a Very Young Child)

"Gerry Scott-Moore" wrote in message
d...
In article , Dave Fossett
wrote:

"PTRAVEL" wrote:

I'm on my third pair of noise cancellers. The problem with NC phones

is
that, though they were very well on repetitive, low-frequency noise,

e.g.
the roar of the jets and the rush of the air against the hull, they

don't
attenuate sound in the frequencies of human speech (or baby crying).

In
fact, they almost make it worse as they eliminate the white noise

which
normally could cover it a bit. However, I use mine with a good

headphone
amplifier and an MP3 player; listening to music at the
not-so-loud-that-it's-painful-but-still-fills-your-head level helps

block
out almost everything.

And which does PTravle use?

My first pair were Sony MD-NC20s. Very nice phones, but they didn't work
with my MP3 player (they picked up control tones from the remote). I got a
pair of Bose QuietComforts, which I've used happily for several years. Last
month, I bought the new Bose QuietComfort II phones. They have better
definition and bass response than the original QuietComfort phones, and are
easier to carry around, too.

I would agree with this advice. I use a NoiseBuster set, which I do find
helps reduce the tiring background noise on long trips, but it doesn't
cancel out intermittent noise such as conversation or announcements.

Anybody used the too-overpriced-to-buy Bose set.

Uh . . yes.

A friend bought them
and tried to proselytize to validate his purchase. But after demo'ing
his at home could see my way clear.

Were they the IIs or the original? My Sonys out-performed the original Bose
QuietComfort phones. The new ones, though, are really quite nice.

--
///---