Old February 6th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Simon Elliott

Default Americans panicking again..................

Alan Pollock writes
In rec.travel.usa-canada Simon Elliott wrote:
All the reports, including the few Israeli ones I've seen, seem to agree
on the salient facts of the case. The only difference is attitude: the
UK media were outraged, while the few Israeli reports I've seen took the
view that the guy was in a war zone and **** happens.

One can be outraged by an incident.

I am outraged by this incident. It's very clear cut, it involves the
killing of a fellow Brit, and nothing much seems to have been done about
it. But you can't build a case on outrage alone, nor do I intend to.

You're outraged by something much more
general, and you're attempting to link the two. Doesn't work, for once you try
to establish a pattern of behavior, objective observeration reveals that -
barring a few particular incidents - the Israeli side acts with a general
regard for civilian life,

Recent, and not so recent, events don't bear this out. I can give you a
list as long as your arm if you really want.

while the Palestinian side targets civilians.

No argument there.

But back to Iain Hook. As far as I'm aware, and I might have missed
something, there's been no investigation, no senior officers have been
court martialled, no heads have rolled. If this is the case, doesn't it
indicate that there's a culture of disregard for civilian life within
the IDF, and doesn't it indicate that this disregard goes right to the
very top?
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/