Old August 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected][_1_]

Default "One bag" travel, which bag is best?

Miguel Cruz wrote:
"rascal" wrote:
Despite what the "travel experts" may say, carry your bag for a
couple of miles or so getting out of the airport and wheels become
more attractive.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which a wheeled bag is more attractive,
unless it is so heavy that you simply cannot lift it - such as an
equipment container on 4 casters.

Miguel and I have been around this bend before. I understand
his point of view, and one must understand how tall he is such that
the handles on roll aboards tend to be a bit short for him to be able
to use them effectively.

However, when I'm traveling in a sport coat or other such kinds
of dress, I'd really rather not have a backpack. Truth is I don't
much like schlepping luggage at all but understand the necessity
on occasion.

[snip]
The whole principle
sucks. They suck on stairs, they suck in countries where everything
isn't wheelchair-accessible, they suck on bumpy sidewalks, they suck in
ice and snow, they suck if you have to run or jog, they suck when you
are getting in and out of vehicles, they suck on escalators where you
are the jerk who blocks the way so nobody can walk past. They suck.

I think you over state this portion a bit. You just pick them up
on
stairs, especially escalators. You're right about bumpy surfaces and
sidewalks and I often advise people to not get ones with really small
casters. The larger wheel you can tolerate the better. And you're
right about running and jogging but if you're running and jogging on
vacation or travel, you've already done something wrong.

And you don't mention the jerk that walks around with their
backpack slugging everyone around them. I also hate the moron
that walks down the aircraft aisle with it slung over his shoulder
smacking everyone on the way down.

Carrying a bag by a handle, so that it swings against your leg with each
step, and the weight of it compresses your spine, also sucks. Really
nothing beats a good - and properly-adjusted - backpack, especially for
business travel when you frequently have to deal with tight schedules.

Business travel is about the only time I use a small one.
Otherwise I check
the darn thing and be done with it. That's the time I've got the
larger one
with the really big wheels to deal with irregular surfaces.