Old February 28th, 2014, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Fritz Wuehler[_10_]

Default LHR international arrival confusion

Doesn't work like that when you are flying to a point behind a US
gateway. For instance London/Chicago/Denver will have a tag saying
LHR/ORD/DEN but you have to collect the bag at ORD, go through
immigration then customs and, as you exit customs recheck the bag
with your domestic carrier.

But "Anonymous" was (if I understand him correctly) doing something
like London/Toronto/Denver/Butte. He says 2 airline staff told him
to collect the bag at Denver (1st US point) then recheck for Butte
but his bag never appeared at Denver and it appeared at Butte.

Indeed. The itinerary was Europe to Canada to US, and the US had two
intl airports (which I won't reveal for privacy). There was a
"pre-screening" in Toronto, where US ICE was operating in Canada,
where they collected my US landing card and asked the typical
questions, only this time without the check-on luggage in my
possession. They showed a digital photo of my check-on, and asked if
that was my bag. I said "yup", and they sent me on my way.

I thought that since they called it a pre-screening, that I would
still need to do more with customs further along the route, but that
never happened.