Old April 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Default Mediterranean Ferries

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 17:41:04 +0100, Mike Lane wrote:

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:39:31 +0100, Martin wrote
(in article ):

I travelled first class sleeper from Toulouse to Paris once. Never again!

What was it like? I'm interested as I was once thinking of going that way to
Venice. I gather you wouldn't recommend it.

It was in the 1970s. The carriage rolled all the time. It was nearly impossible
to sleep. The train arrived in Paris around 5 am having left Toulouse around
11pm. I finally got home to NL around 14:00
I did better than a French colleague (a fluent speaker of English, Mixi), who
did manage sleep on a train going in the opposite direction, until he woke up
injured on the side of the track. A bomb had exploded in the next compartment.

http://www.emergency-management.net/bombings.htm
"1982 March 30th. - France: bomb detonated on a Paris-Toulouse train; 6 people
died and 15 were injured."

Several years ago some acquaintances of ours were robbed on an overnight
train in Italy.