Old September 21st, 2016, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
-hh

Default Rhein cruises

tim... wrote:
"-hh" wrote:
[...]
I think our overall route was something like this:
[google map link]

Not exactly a trip down the Rhine though (even as in,
a drive along the banks) is it?

There was some of that too, basically one or two days
of the overall trip ... the Rhine just didn't happen
to be this particular trip's primary focus, which had
been Christmas Markets (late Nov/early Dec timeframe).

In any case, I do recall that one of our daytrips out
of Bacharach was to drive over to St Goar and tour
through Burg Rheinfels. Might have done this on the
afternoon of our flight from the USA?

A second daytrip from Bacharach took the Kaub car ferry
across the river (free view of the Pfalzgrafenstein
castle in the middle of the river), then stopped briefly
to see the Blucher monument in Kaub (my wife is a
descendent). Then drove up to the top of the Loreley
for a view, then along the river to Ehrenbreitstein
Fortress (across the river from Koblenz) for a tour.
Crossed back at Koblenz & returned to Bacharach.

FWIW, this loop didn't include anything in Koblenz, such
as Deutsches Eck (park where the Rhine & Mosel meet), as
my parents had been taking their time & were getting tired.
Noted because there was more that a younger/faster visitor
could have included...the old city center of Koblenz also
has an older church which is worth a few minutes, as well
as the Electoral Palace (sorry, haven't been there to know
anything about it).

FWIW, along the Mosel, I've also visited Burg Eltz and
Ehrenburg castle. IIRC, the former was mostly just a
guided tour, where the latter was self-guided. Looks like
their websites today a eltz.de & ehrenburg.de

The Mosel is a pretty riverside drive too, although it is
quite twisty-windy. We rented an apartment-style room in
Zell at the Weingut F.J. Weis (weingut-weis.de), which is
a winery a few yards from where Rt. 421 meets with Rt. 53.
They still offer rooms, so if I was traveling by car through
the area, I'd stay there again ... can buy wine downstairs
& then sit out on the balcony before going out to dinner g.

-hh