Old September 25th, 2016, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default Rhein cruises

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:46:23 -0500, Erilar wrote:

-hh wrote:
poldy wrote:
Talis Mann wrote:
poldy wrote:
Not to mention, in this day and age, being cut off from Internet,
phones, etc. for swaths of time?

On a river cruise through Europe? Not hardly. I know there's widespread
4G LTE throughout Germany and elsewhere.

I don't know the itinerary of these river cruises but between big towns,
there's no coverage or it reverts to 2G.

The ships typically have free wifi, although it often will
get slammed when the passengers get back onboard.

Or there's a long stretch with no cities of any size, as could happen on
the Danube 8-)

When are you planning to have your cruise? It's perfect wine festival weather
ATM. If do it by car, I can recommend staying in Spay about 10 miles upstream
from Koblenz. It's in a bend in the river ore or less opposite Marksburg, as a
result it is one of the few places on the river in the gorge that doesn't have
trains passing close to hotel bedroom windows. At night the only noise is from
barges going upstream against the current.

Fall is wine time, but it's also my favorite time here in Wisconsin. Summer
is MUCH too touristy 8-(. Spring in Germany, on the other hand, is
Spargelzeit. Yum! My friend has never tasted the real thing!

Most of the cruises seem to race up or down the Rhein. I'm not interested
in zipping through stretches of river that don't include the parts I
particularly want to share with my friend, who is particularly interested
in my favorite stretches as well. We HAVE to spend a couple nights in
Mainz no matter what, hopefully pause briefly in Bingen, maybe visit my
first and enduring love, the Marksburg, and Köln would be nice. So far, the
only line that approaches this, has cabins with TWO comfortable chairs and
a window that opens(aka "French balcony”) is a German one. But I'm looking
at 2018, so I have lots of time to plan.
--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad