Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:13 AM
Geoff Lowry

I will try to answer your questions based on my experience.
If you need extra free baggage, ask your travel agent to put in a request in
the PNR. They may be sympathetic to your needs and give you, perhaps 30KG
per person, instead of the standard 20KG.
Business class is typically more than double the economy class fare, so
financially does not provide a solution.
I would suggest that you look into sending the excess stuff using air
freight. It is a much cheaper alternative to the business class fare, and
gets there almost as quick as you do.

"simon3000" wrote in message
om...
Hi Everybody,

My pregnant wife and I currently live in Oxford, England and are
flying to Perth, Australia in Jan 2005 as I have a 13 month job there
starting January 17th 2005. We will be returning to England with the
baby after that.

I don't know much about the in's and out's of flight ticketing and
would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice on the following

1) I've heard that its not possible for me to buy a return flight
ticket because the maximum return time allowed is 12 months (and I
need to be in Australia for 13 months at least)
Is it true that I need to buy 2 single one-way flight tickets?

2) I don't want to have to ship anything to Australia and was hoping
to take everything we need (basically clothers, laptop, camera) in a
few suitcases or 2
-someone told that if i went to Perth from London in a western
direction (ie via USA), then the flight is a bit more expensive but
the baggage allowance is massively increased to 120 kg or something
like that, compared to a cheaper but much lower baggage allowance
(20kg) via an eastern route (ie via Asia) - is this true?

- also is it more cost effective to pay for business class instead of
economy to get the increased baggage allowance? how much does t cost?

Thanks for any advice

Simon