Old December 21st, 2004, 03:48 AM

I wouldn't buy electronics and computers from China. Is there a cost
or quality atvantage?

The fake/rejected name brand market in Shanghai is called "Xiang-Yang
market". Can't tell you where it is because I was in China for the
first time of my life myself this August trip even though I speak
fluent Chinese so I felt very much at home. It is near a metro stop is
all I can tell you. I didn't buy anything but wife and children were
having the time of their lives gobbling up bargains.

I can tell you a few examples of the reject name brand we saw. There
was this XXL NBA jersey worn by the most famous player from China, Yao.
Except the seamstress didn't understand English and had "Yad" sewn on
the jersey (Now how do you expect a Chinese seamstress to distinguish
capital O and capital D?). My teenager son was going to pick it up and
wear it in school to show his friends. But the jersey was too big so
he didn't get it.

Another was a NBA jersey of the Sacramento Kings. It was rejected
because the seamstress had the "n" sewn upside down, So the jersey
reads "Kiugs" Don't know how US customs official would have reacted to
these hilarious rejects.