Old January 31st, 2005, 01:17 AM
RQ

I considered taking a laptop with me to NZ in 2004, but in the end decided
not to. However, a couple of observations:

-I checked out some ISP's before going..one was Clearnet, I believe, and
they said opening up an account for a month would be no problem, and that
they had a nationwide toll free access number.

-I stayed mostly at motels. In my experience, most of these types of places
would not have broadband access for guests. Also, in NZ I understand
commercial establishments like motels don't get free local calls, so many
pass these costs on to guests, whether for regular phone calls or internet
connections. Can't recall what the rate was...I wasn't making a lot of local
calls and where I did it was a relatively small cost per minute. Also, in
some cases (where they had a limited number of outside lines), there were
signs in the rooms asking guests not to tie up the lines too long with
internet access. No doubt some of these observations would differ for larger
hotels.

I ended up using the commercial internet cafes and other storefront internet
places..mainly for web-based email and surfing to keep up with news back
home etc. They are all over the place. I never used them for confidential
stuff like banking etc. though, although I noticed that some people did. As
others have commented, it's hard to know how diligent they are at keeping
spyware etc. off their machines.

RQ

"Kent Feiler" wrote in message
My wife and I are computer weenies so we want to bring our laptops
from the USA to NZ on our upcoming trip. I have a couple of questions
on this topic.

(1)Can someone recommend an ISP that we can use anywhere in the
country, and one that will allow us to purchase a one month
membership?

(2)What sort of power cord and telephone connection problems will we
have?

(3)Do most of the hotels have broadband connections for guests?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Kent Feiler
www.KentFeiler.com