Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:08 AM
Geoff Rait

Default Flying to Fiji with Air New Zealand

In , Widya Santoso wrote:
"Al Bennett" writes:

When you arrive at LAX on NZ, you would be in the sterile airside
area. No need to clear customs/immigration - just a matter of
getting off at one gate and staying in the "holding area" at the
new gate.

I thought that with the new homeland security you actually had to collect
your luggage and recheck in with Customs even though you were only in
transit.

Cathy, ask the question in rec.travel.air and confirm there.

Ask your travel agent, if you're using one, too, but I think Widya is
correct.

A week ago I went NZ - LA - Canada on an Air NZ-Air Canada codeshare.
Despite arrival and departure both being from Terminal 2, the homeland
security stuff did indeed entail the whole immigration - collect baggage -
customs - recheck baggage thing (this was with bags that were tagged right
through and being in possession of an onward boarding pass). It took about
1.25 hours before I was back inside the secure area. Depending on the time
of day you arrive, it might go faster or slower (previous trips through LA,
involving terminal changes, have taken me far longer).

If it's a codeshare trip all the way from London, there should be someone to
shepherd you through. However, I'd say anything less than 2 hours is pretty
tight. You might make it, but your baggage might not until the next day.
Take enough basics in your hand luggage to tide you over.

Geoff

--
Actually, I do have spots.