Old May 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.south-africa

Default Zanzibar for Christmas

Robert Kay wrote:

Well, that is undoubtedly true! Particularly pink ones with lime rather
than lemon.

I shall never forget the (young) barman in a motel in Musina many years ago,
who, after taking my order for a pink G&T came back after 5 minutes
searching, with the announcement that he couldn't find a pink gin! Only
white, meneer. Luckily the motel manager was with me, and he 'gently'
explained what a pink gin was.

It's odd, given how nice they are, compared to the straight G&T, I'd
have thought that everybody would drink them.

They don't, of course. I suspect that the reason is that people find the
bitters a bit bitter for their taste - not realising that their job is
to cut through the sugar in the tonic, whilst complimenting the quinine.

Talking of which, why is is so difficult to find sugar free tonic in SA?