Old May 29th, 2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.south-africa

Default Zanzibar for Christmas

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message
oups.com...

Marc Lurie wrote:
On 27 May 2006 02:55:40 -0700, wrote:

*******s! That is a great pity - a pity too that there hasn't been any
re-building. Coastal railways are a particular delight to travel along
and they provide an excellent transfer of wealth to nice places to stop
along the way.

Yeah - that wasn't nice of us, was it? But you'd think that after all these
years some rebuilding would have been done? And they asked for it. Anyway,
let bygones be bygones. Moz should ask the Chinese to help them. After all,
they built the Tanzam railways in the 60's.

Is Zanzibar a good place for Christmas? Is there anywhere to avoid or
to stay that is particularly nice and/or cheap?

Zanzibar will be quite busy at that time of year. If you're looking
for empty beaches and solitude, Zanzibar is the wrong place to be :-)
For empty beaches you need to look at northern Mozambique.

We've got tons of fairly empty beaches in Cape Town (well, not on Bank
Holiday weekends), so we're not really looking for beaches at all. I'm
not, anyway! A quiet holiday with interesting places to see and good
food is more the objective.