Old May 21st, 2010, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ed Treijs[_2_]

Default Hiking Newfoundland in October

On May 20, 4:24*am, Peter Klein wrote:
Hi everybody,

as I'm planning to hike the East coast Trail in this years October I
would appreciate any kind of information on weather / climate you
possibly can provide.

I'm well aware of the fact that according to climate tables October
seems to have the highest rate of percipitation and that average maximum
temperatures are somewhat around 10° C. That doesn't bother me. I am a
little bit concerned about snow and storms.

Newfoundland can have snow any time of the year. However, really heavy
snow is unlikely in October! It's also unlikely to become extremely
cold, at least in the first half of October. But again, it is not a
predictable climate--be prepared.

You should assume it will be very windy, with some precipitation
likely every day. It's more likely to be cloudy/foggy than sunny. I
have been to Newfoundland in late September, and also at the end of
October, and the gusty wind is what I remember most. Of course, I was
not hiking for several days. If you are backpacking, make sure your
tent and cooking stove will stand up to winds.

Just like the Faroe Islands, the climate is maritime, windy, and very
changeable. Just like the Faroe Islands, the landscape is amazing
especially when it clears up and the sun comes out.

.....Ed