Old November 11th, 2009, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Robin Stober

Default How are things in New Orleans these days?

Nile wrote:
Robin wrote:

crime has always been an issue in New Orleans, tho perhaps no more

than in any city.

No, it is more than in most other cities. But like James said, if you
stay in tourist and good shopping areas -- and avoid the adjacent
empty/dark streets -- then you don't normally see it and you should be
fine. The murder rate is mostly limited to inter-gang troubles,
although I've read about a couple of disturbing robbery killings in the
last year. In short, it shouldn't be any worse for the average tourist
than it was pre-Katrina.

OK, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I never had a
problem before, but I followed the advice of staying with the crowds.
(And I had better vision then.)