Old November 13th, 2010, 07:14 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.misc
Planet Visitor II[_2_]

Default America's "Commander in Chief" AWOL on Veterans Day

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 05:59:27 +1000, "SPierce"
wrote:

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message
On 12/11/10 13:53, in article ,
"Gordon Levi" wrote:

Where would you prefer him to be?

Veteran's day was originally armistice day and had
to down with WWI. That holiday became a bit
archaic, especially since the vets have all died
off, except for Frank Woodruff Buckles

I remember as a kid a few vets from the Civil war.
The last verified Civil war Vet was Pleasant Crump
borb 23 December 1847, died. 31 December 1951.

My great grandmother, who was alive then remembers
vets from 1812

# About 40 years ago I remember Alistair Cook mentioning the thousands of
widows pensions still being paid out to Civil War veteran wives in America.
It sounded impossible but it turned out that the veterans had married late
to younger women and the women were still alive in the 1960s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110721/
A great movie made for TV. Highly recommended.

Planet Visitor II
http://alt-activism-death-penalty.info/dictionary.html