Old October 20th, 2004, 07:44 PM
JohnM

In article , vicki Steven
writes
in article , JohnM at
wrote on 18/10/04 7:37 AM:

What is the best way to go from Whakanaka (White Island) to Napier?
Is it the coastal route via Gisborn or the inland route via Rotorua and
Taupo. I was thinking of going to Rotorua then Whakanaka then Napier
then Taupo.

Assume you mean Whakatane??

Yes, I get confused...

The most direct route is Highway 5, via Rotorua
& Taupo - 310 Km;

The alternative is Highway 2, via Gisborne (this is NOT coastal, but pretty
much entirely inland) - 418 km

Or the "scenic route" via East Cape as recommended by another poster - about
500 Km (you'd really need 2 days for this route as there is so much to see).

Incidentally, how would you rate the Nelson area vs Franz-Josef-
Queenstown-Te Anau? I am not particularly keen to go bungee jumping. How
long do you think I should allow for Nelson and from Greymouth to
INvercargill?

I have budgeted for 9 weeks in NZ, at least 1 week of which will be
Auckland to see friends.

Question to Peter as well.
--
JohnM