Old January 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
neverwas

Default Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

Check on glass coverage, but it is usually included in the vehicle
insurance. Also check the 'excess' (called deductible in the USA)
you will be required to pay if you claim. It can be as much as $500
- but can be covered by a small daily payment, which gives you a
'No-Excess' coverage.

Not in any of the firms I've checked so far. Indeed, my impression
(albeit just from a handul of trips in recent years) is that all the
main companies now exclude damage to windows, lights, tyres and
underbody (and towing cost following any accident) from their basic
insurance so they can then sell you an expensive add-on policy.

Be very careful of most small 'single office' care hire places.

Check the insurance papers to ensure you are covered for single
vehicle accidents. Not all have those covered.

Thanks. My checklist is growing fast.