Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Old Sarge[_3_]

Default Carnival Liberty - Cruise From Hell

On 9/14/2011 3:57 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 9/14/2011 1:35 AM, oldsarge (nospam) wrote:
Now I want people to tell me I'm nuts and am just a complainer. I paid
for
an upgrade from deck 6 to deck 8. Well my cabin #8319 was located mid
ship
right below the Lido deck where people sit in regular chairs at regular
tables. The space between the Lido deck and cabins below are NOT
insulated.
For one week I had to endure terrible noises around the clock as
tables and
chairs were scrapped across the wooden deck. I lodged several complaints.
They attempted to block off the area above my cabin at night but only
managed to block off the area above my balcony. They gave me a $80 credit
which I took as an insult. I also had two separate ship officers visit my
cabin and they validated my complaint. I'm writting to Carnival
requesting
a refund of the upgrade fee plus compensation for having to endure that
cruise with little or no sleep. If you have doubts about this, book a mid
ship cabin on deck 8 below the Lido deck seating area just outside the
buffet area on the open deck. Never again will we sail Carnival. In
addition to the noise, the food was far below par from our last Carnival
cruise. Our cabin steward and one of the customer service reps were
outstanding in regards to my complaint.

I understand your anger. I know that it's too late for you, but to
others booking a cabin, might I suggest you find a website with deck
plans (either the cruise line's one or one of many others you can Google
for) Look at what is below, above and next to your cabin of choice.

If you are being upgraded, make sure you know where the cabin is before
you accept the upgrade. An outside cabin in a quiet location, would have
been preferable to the balcony you had.

BTW,
Depending on the cruise itinerary, ship layout and weather at the time
of the year, I will choose an outside cabin in a good location even
though I'm a bit of a balcony snob. g

Thank you. I did do some research on Cruise Critic and Cruise Reviews.
I did find one where a person had the exact same cabin I had and she
reported noise during events, which I didn't consider an issue. BTW, I
didn't choose that cabin. It was choosen for me by Carnival. I think
most people think I actually booked that cabin myself. I didn't. Now
I'm sorry about it. I've learned a few pointers for my next cruise
which will most likely be Miami through the Panama Canal, on up to
Seattle. For that cruise I may choose a line that caters more to my age
group (70's) like Holland America, Celebrity, or one of the more
expensive but smaller lines. My first Carnival cruise was very enjoyable
and the food was outstanding. THIS last cruise was as I stated, a
cruise from hell. Without the noise, it would have been better but other
areas would have still been rated sub-standard based upon my prior
Carnival experience.

--
**U.S. Army Retired - USPS Retired**
**Degreed in CS, BS, HBS**