Old October 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

Default Using electronic devices during take-off and landing (was:CyberFlying???)

I changed the subject to something more descriptive and intelligent.

The original choice of subject (Cyberflying ??) denotes or implies some
sort of automated, robotic aircraft control mechanism or remote
telematic operation of an aircraft, which clearly is not the intent of
this thread.

mag3 wrote:

I cannot believe the amount of video footage I've found recently
on YouTube of aircraft take offs/landings, engine starts etc. and
especially from *inside* the aircraft.
pointed right out a window just forward of the engine with
excellent sound, quite like I remember it.

I guess my question is, how is it even possible to acquire such
footage from inside the aircraft given the prohibition on
"portable electronic devices" below 10,000ft?

It's pretty easy.

I've done it several times with my point-and-shoot camera, and my GPS.

Consider what happens on a plane just prior to takeoff and landing -
especially what the flight attendants are doing. They're walking up and
down the ailes, doing that stupid check for seat-backs and tray tables
are up, your seat belts are on, your junk is stuffed under the seat in
front, you're not wearing headphones or ear plugs, you've got nothing on
your lap besides paper reading material, and any visible electronics is
turned off if not stowed somewhere.

After they do all that crap, they sit down and strap themselves in, and
they really can't see what's going on in most of the seats on the
plane. That's when you can reline your seat, put your ear-buds or head
phones back in, and take out your camera. They can't see your camera
unless you hold it up above the seat-back in front of you - something
you don't need to do if you're just shooting out the window at the wing,
engine, ground passing below, etc.

Because I frequently have my hand-held GPS (Garmin Geko) turned on
during various stages of the flight, and because it needs some time to
get a position lock, I will hold it up against the window but shield it
from view with a newspaper so the FA's can't see it during their walks.
That way I can get a good GPS position recording of the take-off and
landing (exact coordinates, speed and altitude).