Old October 21st, 2011, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

Default CyberFlying???

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:19:25 -0700, DevilsPGD wrote:

In message someone claiming
to be mag3 typed:

But the other passengers *can* see it, and one of them might get nosy
and take initiative (i.e. "Let's Roll!"). How do they know if you got permission from the
crew? How do they know the device you're holding is not an IED or something pointed
at the engine to make it fail after take off? And if *they* have to turn everything off for
take off/landing, why shouldn't you???

Who says they did? They're probably busy watching for the flight
attendants themselves, so they don't get busted using their BlackBerry.

I'm not saying anyone did, but given what I've read recently in people being
thrown off of flights for far less severe infractions, and what with newfound "IED
awareness," it would seem something both crew and pax. would take a lot more
seriously. They did when I was flying. I thought things were actually getting
*more* strict. You're telling me no, and since you've obviously flown more than
me, lately, I'll take your word for it. But I am a little disappointed, both from a
security standpoint, and also, one of "fairness." As silly as the regulation may be
(and I agree it is), it's still a reg, and must be obeyed by all. And they're are more
reasons than just "security."

General Safety, for one... Not that cameras/camcorders would be a huge deal, but
other devices and gear (ie. laptops etc.), should not be allowed below 10,00ft, in
order to maintain emergency egress for all and the paths clear (at a time when the
probability for an emergency egress is greatest). I wouldn't be real happy if someone
is futzing around with their laptop (or other devices) and blocking my exit when the
"evacuate" order is given. After all, isn't that why all that carry on stuff "must fit
completely underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins," and "All
tray tables locked and seat backs returned to their full/upright position?"

Maybe crews are more "educated" about electronics now. But I guess I thought that
pax. would not know the difference and would want to stop even a "perceived" threat for
security reasons, or at least bitch about someone else getting away with a reg violation.

Besides, many of these videos include pushback and engine starting, when
the FAs are *not* strapped in and are still checking the aisles.

That should give you an idea of how much the flight attendants care, no?

Sadly, yes.
Regards,

Arnold