Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

Default Using electronic devices during take-off and landing (was:CyberFlying???)

mag3 wrote:

I changed the subject to something more descriptive and intelligent.

The thread title has to do with what the videos allow people to do
- "Cyberfly" -

There is no such concept as "cyberfly".

That is, watch an aircraft in flight, taxi, etc.

What the hell kind of terminology are you trying to invent?

Documenting or filming various human activities with cameras is not
called "cyber-this" or "cyber-that".

So stop it already with the cyber-bull****.

You are focused here in this thread on the use of electronic devices
during take-off and landing, so that's the correct subject line for this
thread.

It's pretty easy.

I've done it several times with my point-and-shoot camera, and
my GPS.

But the other passengers *can* see it, and one of them might get
nosy and take initiative (i.e. "Let's Roll!").

Other passenger's don't give a rat's ass what you're doing.

How do they know if you got permission from the crew?

If they even notice that I'm doing something with an electronic device,
I can garantee you that they know that there is no such permission. So
that question is moot.

How do they know the device you're holding is not an IED

You could ask the same question about the book or the big-mac sandwich
that I might be holding while seated on the plane.

If I had an IED, I wouldn't have to hold it or operate it like it was a
real phone, a camera or GPS. I'd just reach down into my pocket and
push the IED detonate button.

or something pointed at the engine to make it fail after take off?

Are you serious?

About the only thing I could be holding while seated on the plane that
would make an engine fail is a bazooka, or maybe some big-ass caliber
hand-gun.

And if *they* have to turn everything off for take off/landing
why shouldn't you???

Again, it's never an issue.

I guess you're too chicken to have ever tried.

Besides, many of these videos include pushback and engine starting,
when the FAs are *not* strapped in and are still checking the aisles.

It's easy to hide a camera behind a newspaper or magazine while it's
shooting out the window.

And if they have to put the camera down for a second while a FA passes
by, how do you know that that part isin't edited out of the videos that
you see?