Old November 20th, 2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

Default buying LHD vehicle

"tam" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi all who know most about everything European.
My wife absolutely refuses to fly and I am not going by train or bus.
I want to drive from Bonnie Scotland to much
warmer-southern-anywhere-probably- Spain in January coming back April.
Will it be better value for money buying a vehicle in France or Holland to
drive down.
I intend to use it to drive around Europe over the next 2 or 3 years.
I was thinking of a big tank like the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon although I
m a bit concerned about the meadieval Spanish towns.

IME, in a big 4x4, it is almost irrelevant which side the steering wheel is
on, unless you are in the habit of driving too close behind other vehicles.
So, you could consider buying in the UK and both getting a chance to find
out if there are any faults with the vehicle before your trip and getting
used to the size in an area you are familair with. I have had an interesting
moment in a French village, taking a trailer down a steep 3m wide road,
which met a similar width road at a T junction, with a deep ditch on the
inside of the corner, where familiarity with where the vehicle corners were
was rather important.

Colin Bignell