Old January 10th, 2013, 03:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Ancient Roman Sites Delphi, Greece Top Three Travel Experiences? Ummm.......

On 2013-01-06 20:56:41 -0600, Poetic Justice said:

I'm very much more into Rome's history and putting a human interest
story at a site or location makes it come alive for me. Regards, Walter

What are your favorite Roman sites?

It seems... as if a lot of it is crumbling concrete, and to honest
Italy has plenty of that already. The Coloseum, and Pantheon, are my
favorites. I've been meaning to visit Ravenna to check out the later
Roman churches and mosaics etc., but have had higher priorities.

And frankly I had enough bad experiences on my last trip. Hotels would
cost more the next morning than cited the night before, parking would
cost more when I was leaving than when I was entering, and the Agip
fuel station attendent near Modena palmed my 50 euro note for a 5 euro
note and pretended I underpaid him. Can you believe that?? The bill
was 64 EUR, so I gave him a 50 note, then looked in my pocket for a ten
and five and gave it to him. Whereupon he no longer held the 50 I just
gave him, he held a 5 euro note. He protested giving me a euro in
change until I expressed hostile body language upon him. I then drove
straight to Brindisi and took the first ferry to Greece the next
morning. Never once had anything like that in Greece. Sorry to carry
on -- there is a lot to say well of Italy -- but I had enough.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com