Old June 17th, 2004, 06:35 PM
tim

Default Ryanair - no refund if booking cancelled

"Nige" wrote in message
I read this letter and reply in the Sunday Times London concerning the
policy of RYANAIR to give any refund on money paid for flights that can

not
be used.

So it appears that if you book with Ryanair and have to cancel, you lose
your money including the money paid to them for AIR PASSENGER DUTY and
Taxes.
Now I imagine that this is factored into the costs and Ryanair basically
encourage passengers to book flights that are admittedly sometimes very
inexpensive but some passengers may be surprised to find the total costs

are
NON REFUNDABLE if they cannot make the journey.

I can understand Ryanair not wanting to sell cheap flights for £1 each way
or some ludicrous cost, and then have the hassle of refunding the

additional
costs such as Air Passenger Duty and taxes, which would easily be much

more,
but I am wondering what others feel about this.

If you feel that FR are wrong here I suggest that you take the matter to
court.
The OFT (DTI or somebody) has already looked at this issue and have
stated that whilst the taxes ought to be refunded a company are entitled
to charge a fee for the work of processing this refund. I doubt that you
will
convince anybody that a 5 pound fee is unreasonable (the railways charge
15).

FR are are low cost airline. They make bugger all from most pax. This
is subsidised by all the little extras that they make from cancellations.

tim